Friday, December 16, 2011

Appreciation Communication

I feel like I have been pretty negative on here lately, and I've been particular sensitive to the negativity and problems of others, but I really can't stress enough that, though our list of issues has seemed particularly high in 2011, I wake up {almost} every day extremely happy and thinking how lucky I am.

It is so easy to admit that our marriage is the axis and both hemispheres of that ball of joy.  We have grown so much through our trials, and I have to share how proud I am of our effort to constantly show each other love and try to understand one another instead of jumping to conclusions, getting upset over something trivial, or seeing an action from an unfair perspective.


A simple exchange yesterday brought all of this to mind: 

I have been wanting Ben to clean the dishes and the kitchen for a few days, but he has been out-of-town so I let it go to let him do it at his own pace.  Before Ben left town he asked me to clean the sheets and I kept forgetting.  Last night I threw the sheets in the wash and he went to work in the kitchen (both without hearing something from the other). 

He leaves the kitchen to go study in the office, I pass him on my way to change the laundry: 
Suz:  "Thanks for doing the dishes!"


Ben: "No problem. Thanks for doing the laundry!"

I love that guy :) 

2 comments:

  1. You know you have a good marriage when that is the kind of stuff that makes you happy. I always feel weird talking about my relationship with Cory because I feel like the things about it that make me the happiest would seem totally lame to everyone else. I'm super glad to know someone else appreciates the small things too! :) Also, I think you are like a million times more amazing than you are negative. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so in awe of the amazing relationship you guys have. You are so very lucky, and I think those little things are a great part of what makes your relationship so lovely. I want to be like you when I grow up ;).

    ReplyDelete

We want to hear your comments, but have updated our comment settings due to a high number of spam messages. We hope you understand and still take the time to share your thoughts!